Medical Assistants are employed to assist and support Medical Officers and Nursing Officers to treat the sick and injured in Canadian Armed Forces units and on operations. This position is only available for part-time employment through the Health Services Reserve.
A Med A has the following primary duties:
- Provide initial care for patients
- Provide basic life support treatments in trauma cases
- Assist with health assessments (to include: perform electrocardiograms; conduct hearing and vision tests; assist with immunizations; collect specimens and perform basic laboratory procedures)
- Perform specific environmental health and preventive medicine duties
- Initiate, maintain and distribute medical records, documents, reports and returns
- Provide medical support on weapons ranges and during training exercises
- Operate and maintain medical and life-support equipment
- Maintain, replenish and account for general and medical supplies
- Conduct first aid, medical and military training
Registered Practical Nurses/Licensed Practical Nurses are employed in the same role as Medical Assistants with additional opportunities for providing bedside nursing care on overseas deployments as part of the nursing team.