Skip to Section:
Whether you’re thinking of going to college or getting your post-grad degree, the CAF can help you get there with one of our paid education programs. If you qualify, the CAF will pay 100% of your school fees, including your tuition, books and academic equipment! Meanwhile, you’ll earn a competitive annual salary and an excellent benefits package including health, dental, vision care and much more. Please be aware that online, distance delivery as well as co-op programs are not approved for paid education programs with the CAF at this time.
Military Commitment after Graduation
After you graduate from one of our paid education programs, you will be guaranteed a job in your field with the CAF. Your salary will continue to increase through professional experience and promotions. Each program requires two months of service for every month of paid education.
The Value of Paid Education in the CAF
$3200 - $12,000/ year
the amount you will save on the annual average cost of tuition for a post-secondary education
the annual starting salary you will earn from the CAF while attending your paid education program
- Leadership Training
- Sports & Athletics programs
- Second language training
- Exciting employment opportunities in a wide variety of occupations post education
- Full-time salary, excellent benefits, and vacation pay
- Paid tuition and administration fees
- Free textbooks
- Challenging roles and tasks
- Meaningful work and the chance to help others
- Continuous opportunities for education, training, and personal development
Non-Commissioned Member Subsidized Training and Education Plan (NCMSTEP)
Training or education for authorized courses of study related to military occupations.
Regular Officer Training Plan (ROTP)
Obtain both an officer's commission in the CAF and an undergraduate degree.
Indigenous Leadership Opportunity Year (ILOY)
One-year preparatory education open to Canadian Indigenous Peoples through the Royal Military College of Canada in Kingston, Ontario.
Unique programs for specialized careers in the CAF. Includes social work, chaplain, dental and medical programs.
Your application for a paid education program is also an application to become a member of the CAF for the length of your training and specific period of service afterwards. All applicants are required to meet both the general qualifications for the CAF, as well as the academic requirements for your field of study or technical program.
To qualify for admission to the CAF and a paid education plan, you must:
- Be a Canadian Citizen or permanent resident
- Meet the minimum medical standard required for CAF enrolment
- Pass pre-enrolment tests including the Canadian Forces Aptitude Test (CFAT), an assessment of aptitudes and suitability for your choice of occupation
- Be 16 years of age to submit an application (with parent/legal guardian consent if you are under 18)
- Meet educational requirements of the program (See program details above)
For more information about joining the CAF, visit Joining the Forces.